Quoting John Attig <jx...@psu.edu>:

"Signatory to a treaty, etc." is therefore one of several identifying
elements necessary to distinguish between different treaties (works).
This is independent of the role of the signatories as creators of the
work.  Note in the authority record example, that Australia and United
States are also identified as creators -- and presumably, in a linked
data environment, this would be encoded as a relationship to the
corporate bodies.

So is it expected that "signatory to a treaty" will be represented by an entity or a string? For example, would you expect a signatory to a treaty to be retrieved by non-preferred (or earlier/later) forms of the name?

Also, if a system could precoordinate the string using an entity and relationship (thus having it appear as it must in RDA displays and indexes) would that be acceptable?

kc

The way in which RDA elements are combined into precoordinated access
points is one of the features of RDA that does not fit terribly well
into the linked-data environment that we are anticipating, but it is a
critical component to how we currently control and provide access to
the entities in question -- particularly in the case of works and
expressions.

        John Attig
        Authority Control Librarian
        Penn State University