From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:rd...@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of Jonathan Rochkind
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:45 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Recording Extent, Other Physical Characteristics,
and Dimensions for incomplete serials

I have never understood why cataloging standards result in:

300 $a v.

Even knowing that stands for "volumes" -- why is this supposed to be useful? I get when it says "2 v.". That's telling you there are two volumes. But when it just says "v." -- can anyone explain to me what the

point of this is supposed to be? Is this supposed to be useful information somehow, "v." ?

Jonathan