For "harder" read also "more expensive".

The same could be said for the time of the cataloger. It doesn't take that much time/expense to enter a "blank v.", but it's yet another rule the cataloger has to be trained for and remember. The more rules, the more time/expense. Little things add up. And we've got a LOT of little things.

Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
Having the "v." around in a field forces the computer software to have an extra rule "Check this field to see if it's nothing but a "v.", and if it is don't bother showing it to the user." (Or of course, you can just show it to the user, probably confusing them, which is what most of our software does). All these rules add up; actually displaying AACR2/Marc in a sensible way to users requires many many special case rules like this. This makes software hard to write and hard to maintain.
Jonathan

Mike Tribby wrote:
Again, I think the same could be said of other types of records. On a card, one could simply leave
a blank area rather than having "v." sitting there unadorned. So I guess I agree with
Jonathan that it really serves no purpose other than as a placeholder. Perhaps it suggests that the
serial was in fact printed rather than in some other form and would, therefore, be found in volumes
in its hard copy form, but that information is also likely to be found elsewhere. We're not going
to require a 300 $c in the BSR anymore, so perhaps we might as well kill off other fields that are
no longer necessary. On the other hand in an electronic environment having the "v."
floating around unfulfilled causes no excess space concerns, although it is useless. As to saving
entry time, the rule of three and use of abbreviations do that, too, and they're earmarked for the
scrap heap. There are competing priorities in everything we do.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:mike.tri...@quality-books.com