From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Adger Williams
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 7:58 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Linked data

Kevin Randall said
<snip>
I think of linked data as something that *functionally* would be something
akin to a relational database on steroids, but in its architecture is not
really a relational database.  I don't think I would be very good at
explaining it, but you can look up linked data in Wikipedia at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_Data and also look at
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
<snip>

Like Mac, I'm struggling to understand what precisely people mean when they use
the phrase "linked data", since it doesn't seem to mean just any kind of data
with links in.  Kevin's second link was very suggestive and helpful and leads
me to understand "linked data" to mean

data that is presented in accordance with semantic web standards and
conventions.

Is this correct?

"It is the unexpected re-use of information which is the value added by the
web."  says http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html.
<http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html> I am a little uneasy about
substituting this goal for Cutter's long-standing goals.  But that's almost a
marketing question.
Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.