Great analysis, Thomas -- I'm amazed at how many of the MARC fields map to two or more RDA fields, but as I haven't gotten past 088 in my own analysis, it's hard to understand the WHY of that.

What I am finding in the 0XX's is that very often an indicator actually turns the field in to more than one data element -- here is an example:

033, Date/Time and Place of an Event, becomes 3 different data elements based on the 2nd indicator:
  - 0 - a capture event (e.g. Date/Time and Place of Capture)
  - 1 - a broadcast event (e.g. Date/Time and Place of Broadcast)
  - 2 - a finding event (e.g. Date/Time and Place of Finding)

While the 033 is a single FIELD in MARC, it is actually multiple data elements.

The 260 $c in MARC is a "fuzzy" multiple, "Date of publication, distribution, etc. May contain multiple dates..."

I'd LOVE to have that MARC-to-RDA list in a simple spreadsheet form... if it's downloadable at all. (I don't have access to the toolkit.) It would really help me for the next phase of my analysis.

I've just uploaded my analysis of 010-088 to:

  http://kcoyle.net/rda/0xx.pdf

It's not pretty -- I haven't figured out how to give the data elements good names so you'll see things like:

016
NBACN
   National Bibliographic Agency Control Number/Record control number 016a
   National Bibliographic Agency Control Number/Source 0162
NBACNC
National Bibliographic Agency Control Number/Cancelled/invalid control number 016z
   National Bibliographic Agency Control Number/Source 0162

The headers in CAPS are a placeholder for a name for the data element. The actual names there are the MARC field and subfield names, run together. The code at the end is the MARC field + subfield or indicator (indicators are "01" or "02").

I have LOTS of questions, some of which I put on the wiki page:

http://futurelib.pbworks.com/w/page/35201483/0XX_fields

And would like to hear any feedback, especially corrections since I don't really know how people fill in these fields.

Thanks,
kc

Quoting "Brenndorfer, Thomas" <tbrenndor...@library.guelph.on.ca>:

Quoting Karen Coyle:
If someone asked for list of MARC data elements, what would you give
them? Given the mess that is MARC today (fully understandable after 40
years of incremental changes) how easy is it to explain it?

The RDA Tookit has excellent RDA <> MARC maps for bibliographic and authority MARC fields. Appendix D.2 and E.2 in RDA have useful maps, but they're not as detailed as the maps under the Tools tab.

Just as an illustration, I did a quick run through looking for all MARC subfields that can map to two or more RDA elements (listed below). What would be useful beyond this are RDA elements that map to, say, both a MARC variable field and a fixed field, or map to a both subfield in an authorized access point and to one of the new MARC fields for individual RDA elements.

There's an interesting dynamic occurring with authorized access points, where many elements that go into them are now accounted for separately. The Preferred name element seems to be stuck in 100$a/110$a as the only place where this element is found (even if it still has to share the subfield with other elements, as is the case for corporate body preferred names!). Something only found in an authorized access point now, the Fuller Form of Name element (100 $q) is being suggested as being also housed in its own element in 378 (http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2011/2011-dp02.html).

So an authorized access point continues to be the only home for a few individual elements, such as the Preferred Name elements, but the whole authorized access point functions as a single value for other elements (such as Creator, Contributor, Related Corporate Body, and so on).

In some cases in the list below, punctuation can be used to differentiate some elements, such as:

300 $a 232 pages (large print)

which maps to the Extent of Text element and to the Font Size element (although Font Size is now being suggested for a move to 340$n
(http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2011/2011-dp04.html).

Bibliographic MARC subfields that can be mapped to two or more RDA elements:

024 a
024 d
024 z
100 c
100 u
100 a
100 f
100 t
110 a
110 c
110 f
110 n
110 t
111 a
111 c
111 d
111 f
111 n
111 t
130 a
130 f
130 k
130 n
240 a
240 f
240 n
243 a
243 n
245 b
245 c
245 k
250 a
250 b
254 a
255 a
255 e
256 a
260 a
260 b
260 c [here's the fab four: Date of production, Date of Publication, Copyright Date, Date of Distribution]
260 e
260 f
300 a
300 b
300 c
310 b
340 f
362 a
490 a
490 v
490 x
500 a
502 a
516 a
518 a
538 a
542 e
542 i
542 k
542 p
546 a
546 b
556 a
580 a
581 a
700 c
700 u
700 a
700 d
700 f
700 n
700 t
710 a
710 c
710 d
710 f
710 g
710 n
710 t
711 a
711 c
711 d
711 f
711 n
711 t
730 a
730 f
730 k
730 n
787 a
787 b
787 c
787 d
787 h
787 k
787 m
787 n
787 o
787 s
787 t
787 w
800 c
800 u
800 a
800 d
800 f
800 n
800 t
800 v
800 x
810 a
810 c
810 d
810 f
810 g
810 n
810 t
810 v
810 x
811 a
811 c
811 d
811 f
811 n
811 t
811 v
830 a
830 f
830 k
830 n
830 v
830 x

Authority MARC subfields that can be mapped to two or more RDA elements (the authorized access points subfields listed repeat the ones in the bibliographic record fields as the same elements would be involved):

010 a
010 z
016 a
016 z