From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:48 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] RDA and MARC

Great analysis, Thomas -- I'm amazed at how many of the MARC fields
map to two or more RDA fields, but as I haven't gotten past 088 in my
own analysis, it's hard to understand the WHY of that.

What I am finding in the 0XX's is that very often an indicator
actually turns the field in to more than one data element -- here is
an example:

033, Date/Time and Place of an Event, becomes 3 different data
elements based on the 2nd indicator:
   - 0 - a capture event (e.g. Date/Time and Place of Capture)
   - 1 - a broadcast event (e.g. Date/Time and Place of Broadcast)
   - 2 - a finding event (e.g. Date/Time and Place of Finding)

While the 033 is a single FIELD in MARC, it is actually multiple data
elements.

The 260 $c in MARC is a "fuzzy" multiple, "Date of publication,
distribution, etc. May contain multiple dates..."

I'd LOVE to have that MARC-to-RDA list in a simple spreadsheet form...
if it's downloadable at all. (I don't have access to the toolkit.) It
would really help me for the next phase of my analysis.

I've just uploaded my analysis of 010-088 to:

   http://kcoyle.net/rda/0xx.pdf

It's not pretty -- I haven't figured out how to give the data elements
good names so you'll see things like:

016
NBACN
    National Bibliographic Agency Control Number/Record control number 016a
    National Bibliographic Agency Control Number/Source 0162
NBACNC
    National Bibliographic Agency Control Number/Cancelled/invalid
control number 016z
    National Bibliographic Agency Control Number/Source 0162

The headers in CAPS are a placeholder for a name for the data element.
The actual names there are the MARC field and subfield names, run
together. The code at the end is the MARC field + subfield or
indicator (indicators are "01" or "02").

I have LOTS of questions, some of which I put on the wiki page:

http://futurelib.pbworks.com/w/page/35201483/0XX_fields

And would like to hear any feedback, especially corrections since I
don't really know how people fill in these fields.

Thanks,
kc

--
Karen Coyle