Everyone:

The book in question was cataloged by University of Chicago, an American
cataloging agency, presumably therefore supposed to be using American
spellings for things. The book itself was in Swedish, so would not have
said anywhere specifically that it had "all beautiful colo(u)red
illustrations". I do not correct British spellings when I see records by
UKM etc., or generally, for that matter. I changed it here only because I
was also editing out the phrase "all beautiful", so thought I'd clean up
both at the same time.

IMNSHO not all the illustrations were beautiful. And frankly, this is the
problem that I had with the record--not really whether illustrations were
listed as colored or not (I tend to note this especially in art books, as
others have mentioned). The problem is that subjective judgements have been
allowed into cataloging, where I don't believe they should exist. Since
this is an RDA record, and I am not entirely conversant with RDA rules, I
sent this around to the wider cataloging public, to see if this is
acceptable practice under the RDA framework. (After I had a good laugh, and
then fixed the 300.)

Since Mr. Cronin of University of Chicago has replied to RDA-L about the
question of whether this is RDA practice, I'll consider it answered: "My
personal apologies to the cataloging community for what was put in the 300
field.  This has nothing to do with RDA, nor does it reflect CGU's policy
or philosophy.  While NYPL would like to politicize it, this is nothing
more than a demonstration of extremely poor judgment of a cataloger who,
frankly, should have known better." I will only state, for the record, that
I was not attempting to "politicize" the issue, but rather to get a handle
on the new rule-set for cataloging, and discover how far my understanding
of what goes into a cataloging record has to change. I'm glad to know that
subjectivity is not standard RDA practice. I will admit to calling CGU out
publicly for their cataloging in this instance, but I would also do it for
an AACR2 cataloging agency that had made strange errors in records, if I
knew with certainty which agency had done the cataloging (i.e., it's about
the cataloging, and nothing more).

Thanks to everyone for responses and opinions. It's been interesting
reading!

Deborah Tomaras, NACO Coordinator
Librarian II
Western European Languages Team
New York Public Library
Library Services Center
31-11 Thomson Ave.
Long Island City, N.Y. 11101
(917) 229-9561
dtoma...@nypl.org

Disclaimer: Alas, my ideas are merely my own, and not indicative of New
York Public Library policy.