It's often quicker, when one has a large workload and backlog piling up, to
send a request to the universe, instead of hunting around oneself.
Especially in the RDA toolkit, which I find confusing at best. And I
thought that those who've had more experience with it could perhaps provide
some information about an obscure provision that I could miss in a surface
scan.

I think, however, that responses such as these by Mr. Myers, Mr. Schiff,
etc. are more about my tone than about my request. I'll apologize once
more, and finally, for the brashness, which I regret, and should have
excised. But I won't apologize for asking publicly for information,
particularly in forums where knowledge might exist. That should not be
problematic.

Deborah Tomaras
Librarian II
Western European Languages Team
New York Public Library
Library Services Center
31-11 Thomson Ave.
Long Island City, N.Y. 11101
(917) 229-9561
dtoma...@nypl.org

Disclaimer: Alas, my ideas are merely my own, and not indicative of New
York Public Library policy.

  From:       "Myers, John F." <mye...@union.edu>

  To:         RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA

  Date:       03/02/2011 02:17 PM

  Subject:    Re: [RDA-L] Subjective Judgements in RDA 300s????

  Sent by:    Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
<RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA>

When one has questions about RDA and is so closely involved in the
import of RDA to one's work, wouldn't prudence argue for acquiring a
copy of the standard in question?  Even if one wishes to eschew RDA's
use generally and wants to avoid the ongoing subscription costs, there
is now a paper version available for use as a reference text: pairing
"strongly worded" with being unknowledgeable is rarely a felicitous
combination.

John F. Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
807 Union St.