-----Original Message-----
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Kevin M. Randall
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:17 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] FRBR

James Weinheimer wrote:

> I don't think I am missing the point of RDA, and the abbreviations are
> a great example. Do we really believe that a simple rule change will "solve"
> whatever "problems" the public supposedly has with abbreviations in
> the catalog? Sorry, but I find that very naive.

Did you read the rest of my post?  This response shows that you still do not
understand at all.  The "simple rule changes" are *NOT* the changes that are
significant in RDA.  What is significant and has great potential is the entire
concept behind RDA, creating a framework that brings metadata into the current
age of information technology.

When work was first begun on AACR3, the problem was that it was essentially
just another revision of AACR2.  If you look at the Dec. 2004 draft today, it
hardly looks any different from AACR2!  That draft got a *huge* negative
response, and it soon became apparent that the entire thing needed to be
completely re-thought.  If we had ended up getting AACR3, it would have been
just a rewrite of AACR2, incorporating the kinds of little changes that Jim has
been citing.  It would have taken us nowhere.

I think what the Committee of Principals and the Joint Steering Committee ended
up doing was very brave (they have received a lot of criticism through the
years, including from yours truly).  AACR3 was totally thrown out, and replaced
with a whole new concept.  While I still see large problems with the Toolkit
functionality, language of the guidelines, and distribution model for RDA, I
have to admit that the JSC really got it right with the foundation, the idea of
uniquely identifying each part of the description, each of the relationships.
The things like abbreviations, or having "other title information" be required
or not, can be changed back and forth by the JSC at any time and not have any
significant impact on what RDA is and is all about.  Having a list of elements
and relationships, and guidelines for determining the values of those elements
and relationships, is the essence of RDA and is what will enable us to have
much more powerful metadata.  It's only one part of what we need; we also need
carriers to store the metadata and systems to manipulate it, but now we at
least have the important first step, which is identifying all of the pieces of
metadata.
--------
I respond:

I think the frustration many of us feel is seeing the great potential of RDA,
seeing how poorly it fits with our present bibliographic data management
systems, and not seeing how we can bridge the gap and create that better fit.
What we urgently need are people who speak both the language of programmers and
the language of librarians. I've been trying to fill some of the gaps in my own
knowledge, but so far I have only succeeded in convincing myself that I'm
utterly ignorant.

Before building those new systems, and perhaps as an essential prerequisite to
it, we need to change the way we think about collecting metadata. I am
delighted that I am a continuing resources cataloger, because I think that
gives me a leg up on making the conceptual shift between thinking about records
as complete, finite aggregations of data about a bounded entity to thinking of
discrete pieces of information linked by relationships. Creation and
maintenance of dynamic bibliographic records from which data is added or
subtracted as needed with the fullest possible documentation of linking
relationships has been the defining feature of continuing resources cataloging
for quite some time. Until the catalogers of other types of resources start
thinking, as serials catalogers do, that no records ever completely finished
and that discerning the relationships between the resource being described as
an essential part of creating and maintaining effective and useful
bibliographic data.

Let the record show that Kevin and I agree.

Naomi Young
Principal Serials Cataloger, Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
na...@uflib.ufl.edu