From: Corey A Harper [mailto:corey.har...@nyu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:21 AM
To: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
Cc: Sanchez, Elaine R
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] archival cataloging and DACS

Hi Elaine,

Not sure if this answers your question or not, but SAA is currently
involved in a review process of DACS, and I'm fairly certain that it is
being informed by RDA.

The review is being carried out by a Technical Subcommittee on DACS [1],
and their public call for comments on the current text ran through March
of this year. The most extensive--and RDA informed--comments I've seen
come from the SAA's Manuscripts Working Group [2]. It looks like the
review -> publication process runs through 2013.

Hope that helps,
-Corey

[1]> http://bit.ly/gVdRrI
[2]>
http://mssworkinggroup.pbworks.com/w/page/35938552/DACS-Review%2C-Spring-2011

On 4/11/2011 6:02 PM, Sanchez, Elaine R wrote:
> Hi, Thanks, Mr. Cronin - that was quite useful to see how it worked for your
> folks. I sent it to staff here for their review.
>
> For the list, I have a question which I can't remember seeing addressed here,
> or maybe it was a long time ago. Will archival cataloging, such as the use of
> DACS, be modified because of RDA, and if so, how? I have found the following,
> from 2005 http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/5lc3.pdf "rule proposals for archival
> and manuscript resources" - are these still in effect, and what changes have
> been made, if any?
>
> Thanks for any info. Someone just asked me, and I said I would ask to see
> what is being said. Should I go to another list for this, rather than the
> general RDA-L list?
>
> Elaine Sanchez
> Texas State University-San Marcos
> 512-245-3005
> e...@txstate.edu

 our community about areas where RDA facilitates user tasks, doesn't facilitate
user tasks, how RDA might be improved, and the implications on local system
configuration (labeling, use of RDA data in faceted browsing, etc.).

> Throughout this entire process, we have tried to recognize when we are
> assessing (1) RDA as the RDA content standard itself, (2) RDA as data
> represented in the MARC formats, and (3) RDA in MARC, as configured by us in
> our particular iteration of the local system.  The lines get blurry and it's
> important to realize when something presents an issue with RDA, MARC, or the
> systems.  We are also a build partner for Kuali-Ole's open/community source
> library management system that is intended to replace the ILS.  The more we
> learn about the data we have, and the data we need to have in the future
> (content and structure alike), the better our decisions will be going
> forward.  To this end, investing in ongoing linked data and Semantic Web
> training/professional development will be critical.  We have dabbled a little
> with our colleagues in Systems and Digital Library Development, but it's
> certainly an area we need to spend more time (and perhaps money) on,
> considering the connection
with RDA data.

--
Corey A Harper