From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2011 10:00 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Conference names : use of annual, etc.

Putting this into other terminology, where possible a conference
should have an identifier that covers all instances of the conference,
even though it changes location or frequency or bits of its name. It
occurs to me that this is a different identification problem from that
of, say, persons, who need an identifier but that identity has a
single display. In this case, the conference name may display
differently for each individual publication (frbr:Work). That would be
hard to convey using an authority record, at least the way we conceive
of them now. This seems to be a case where there may be a default
display relating to the conference but an additional display form will
be needed for that particular conference publication.

If I think about the possible system functionality you might want, I'd
say that you want a textual rendering of what the conference has
called itself this time (which can probably vary a lot because many
conference organizers aren't thinking about being consistent with past
practice). That can display to users and would also be handy for
keyword access. You also want to connect this to the identity of the
conference in order to bring it together with the other times this
conference met. Plus you probably want to separately encode dates and
places, since these can be key to discovery. Encoding those two
separately means that you can normalize them for better retrieval.
There may be other data that need separation as well -- these two just
popped into my head.

kc

--
Karen Coyle