From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Adam L. Schiff
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2011 3:39 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Conference names : use of annual, etc.

Mary Charles,

Since no one yet has tried to give an explanation, and without searching
through all of the JSC minutes, where it can probably be found, I think
the short answer is that they wanted just one rule to cover both
conferences, congresses, meetings, etc. and exhibitions, festivals, fairs,
etc.  And in keeping with the principal of taking what you see for a name
they decided not to drop off frequency words from conference names.  They
were not dropped from exhibition/fair/festival names in AACR2.

Adam

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger