Dear RDA-L readers,

Adger Williams said in the discussion of Linked Files: "We all do our authority
updates by authority record numbers, which (by and large) don't change."

Sometimes they do.  Cases of name authority records representing first one
person, then another of the same name, are recorded.  What happens is that the
unqualified name heading is created for the first person and that person alone.

Then a namesake is added to that record, making it undifferentiated.   Later
on,
information about the first person such as a date of birth is discovered,
allowing differentiation and qualification of the first person.  A new NAR is
created for the first person, leaving the original unqualified NAR representing
the second  person.

Since the two NARs have different numbers, the first person winds up having a
change of record number as well as a change of heading.  The first number winds
up representing a different person with the unqualified heading.

Alerts of specific cases are posted to the PERSNAME-L list (via which I
discovered this situation) and can be found in the archives of that list.

Ian Fairclough
George Mason University
ifairclough43...@yahoo.com
703-993-2938 (office)