Adam,

Thanks for your well-worded explanation. My concern is that the frequency of
this occurring is too high. In other words, there obviously needs to be more
training and perhaps more emphasis on the importance of having rules and
performing the work needed to facilitate automated management of data.

The problem of establishing Name authority records instead of Subject authority
records is fairly common. Indicating a problem with understanding when which is
needed (more training) and it also means there is a need to at minimum instruct
libraries on both the importance of and how to submit SACO terms when their
name authority record is deemed not appropriate for NACO. Even if LC staff
don't inform them, they probably get the delete record when it is distributed
so know something is up. Perhaps there should be a mechanism to automatically
submit these cancelled NACO terms as SACO proposals when that is the reason for
their deletion. When NACO geographic terms (151) are cancelled and the control
number added to the established SACO heading there is no problem, or need to
add a note as to why the NAR was deleted. It is when someone has done a lot of
work and all that work is lost that I see a problem.

Mary L. Mastraccio, MLS
Cataloging & Authorities Librarian
MARCIVE, Inc.
San Antonio Texas 78265