Quoting "Gary L. Strawn" <mrsm...@northwestern.edu>:

Something different is seen when an institution accidentally creates a record for an entity already represented by an existing authority record. Sometimes the institution creates identical records one after the other, sometimes the duplication is harder to explain. But when the institution realizes the error, instead of reporting the duplicate for deletion it changes the second record to represent some completely different entity. In this case the linking number is the same but the entity it represents is different.

You know how we hate it when publishers re-use ISBNs and therefore make a mess for us? This is the same thing. It's very important that we teach people some basic concepts that will help them avoid these kinds of mistakes. If nothing else, this shows us that our library education (formal or informal) is lacking. We teach people the details of the cataloging code but not much (definitely not enough) about data management, and the latter is part of our job today.

kc

Gary L. Strawn, Authorities Librarian, etc.
Northwestern University Library, 1970 Campus Drive, Evanston IL 60208-2300
e-mail: mrsm...@northwestern.edu voice: 847/491-2788<--now even newer! fax: 847/491-8306
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.         BatchCat version: 2007.22.416

--
Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net