On 4/27/2011 11:40 AM, Laurence Creider wrote:
The point of my comment yesterday was that there was no proof that Dr.
Snoopy was in fact a different "person" from Snoopy.  The existence of a
title means nothing.  Sometimes I use my Dr. or Professor, sometimes I do
not.

Let me start with a disclaimer. I am not speaking authoritatively about the intentions of the authors of RDA. I think that this thread raises some issues that are not completely clear in RDA and which require discussion about how to apply the instructions.

As the JSC was reviewing the drafts of the section of RDA that dealt with multiple identities or personae, it struck me that a literal reading of RDA would suggest that the simple use of different names (but not different forms of the same name or changes of name) was sufficient evidence of the intent to establish a separate bibliographic identity. If that is true, then Larry's point above is not relevant: you don't need proof that "Dr. Snoopy" is a different person, you only need evidence of the use of a distinct name -- and a decision that this is a different name rather than a different form of the same name (which I suppose one could argue).

The implications of this frighten me somewhat, particularly when I think of the conventions of pseudonymous publication (under initials or phrases) common before the nineteenth century. For such persons, at least the cataloger can take account of current scholarship in attributing works to an author under his/her "real" name -- and of all the "modern" publications issued under that real name. This is much more difficult for what we used to call "contemporary authors". In practice, we may still need to make such distinctions.

It also occurs to me that this example illustrates the different purposes of access points. The access point for "Dr. Snoopy" is based on the association of this particular name with the particular work in question; in this case, it allows access to this particular identity, distinct from other identities such as "Captain Snoopy" or "Joe Cool" or "Flashbeagle"; a reference structure of "related persons" should allow navigation among these different access points. The "real" creator of these works is Charles Schulz and an access point should be provided under his name which will collocate all the works he created. And there is another common element, the *character* Snoopy, for whom a descriptive or subject access point might also be provided, which would bring together all the works in which Snoopy appeared. All of these possible access points do not perform the same function. It seems to me that access by the specific name used for each work (e.g., "Dr. Snoopy") does serve a useful function, but that this access point need not serve all of the collocation functions that I described above for other access points. The right tool for the job . . .

Again, these are tentative thoughts, not authoritative pronouncements. This is definitely (in my opinion) a gray area in RDA, and one worth further discussion.

        John Attig
        Authority Control Librarian
        Penn State University
        jx...@psu.edu