If the cataloger is pretty confident that this book is REALLY written by Charles Schultz, is there any reason (in priniciple or in code) that she can't simply add "Schultz, Chares..." as the controlled heading/access point/1xx?

Snoopy would still be in the transcribed 245 statement of responsibility of course.

There will of course be occasions where the cataloger has no way of knowing that the title page statement of responsibility is fictitious, and will then go through the ordinary procedures for establishing a controlled heading, the procedures Adam et al helpfully clarified. That's how it goes, this will inevitably sometimes happen.

But in cases where it is obvious what's going on.... it seems to me it would be preferable for the cataloger to act upon that. I am not a cataloger. What would they have do under AACR2? Is there anything in RDA to make it either easier or harder (more or less 'legal') for the cataloger to just use this obvious knowledge, and assign Charles Schultz's heading. (Ie, establish the relationship to a Charles Schultz authority).

In my idea world, we'd also all be using a cooperative database, such that if the initial cataloger didn't realize "Dr. Snoopy" was really Charles Schultz, a later cataloger could always improve the record to be so too, and everyone else would get those improvements back in their databases too.

Jonathan