One point of having authority records is to recognize that entities
can have a coherent presence--an identity--that goes beyond what is
found on one book. In the case of Snoopy, that identity is primarily
iconic--we recognize his various images as Snoopy, regardless of what
he's sometimes wearing. Knowing that, when I encounter "Dr. Snoopy," I
see it as Snoopy--Snoopy in one of his many personae, but primarily as
Snoopy. The fact that Snoopy's existence is primarily visual and that
he remains recognizable as Snoopy across so many personae says to me
that these personae are not equivalent to pseudonyms, which tend to
hide the fact that two authorial names are the same. They're more like
"different forms of the same iconographic identity."  That being the
case, I'd establish the authorial Snoopy as just "Snoopy," and give
"Dr. Snoopy," "Joe Cool," etc. as 400s, if they ever turn up as
authors.

The question is, what level of granularity is most appropriate for
collocation and will best match users' expectations and needs. I find
it dubious that most users would prefer to have to track down all the
Snoopy personae under their individual names when they're looking for
stuff by or about Snoopy. We have only one subject heading for him.
Would a new subject heading be needed to catalog a poster of Joe Cool,
or would "Snoopy (Fictitious character)" still apply?

Three minor notes: it's Schulz, not Schultz. I don't think anyone
would argue that the book by Dr. Snoopy should also have Schulz as an
access point. And let's not forget spirits, who can also be authors
under AACR2 (e.g., "Seth (Spirit)").

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
Technical Services, University Libraries