From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of J. McRee Elrod
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:31 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] RDA MARC coding question

Judith Kuhagen said:

>As Kathy noted, there will be a MARBI proposal about copyright date for
>the June 2011 ALA Annual Conference.

But that proposed new subfield for copyright year is included in a
*very* complex coding scheme proposed for 260.  Couldn't we just add one new
subfield for copyright, either displayed out of order, or reuse $d, thus not
over complicating it?

It's been decades since $d has been used for plate or publisher number, and the
copyright sign would distinguish copyright years from that earlier use.