Adam Schiff makes a fair point that it would be far more constructive to
suggest improvements rather than just airing grievances about particular
aspects of RDA. Still, it seems to me that, at least for some listmembers, what
appear as complaints are also questions about why RDA has the provisions it
has. Were altenate ways of dealing with Apocrypha discussed and discarded? If
so, would airing the same alternatives that were already rejected serve a
useful purpose (beyond the obvious purpose of calling the decisions reached in
creating RDA into question)? It seems to me from my narrow perspective on this
particular issue, that since there are widely divergent ideas about what
constitute Apocrypha in the many versions of the Bible, it may well be
impossible to reach a consensus. So do we want air-tight rules that will
inevitably leave some feeling wronged? Do we want another area for cataloger's
judgment (on this issue I would assume not, but what do I know?)? How do we
deal with a situation for which there may well not be an entirely equitable
solution?

And, more in keeping with my history on this list, where does this issue or set
of issues fall on the RDA is not a cataloging code<--->RDA is silent on display
continuum?

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.