I think that RDA having to support the three scenarios
(http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/5editor2rev.pdf) means that the construction of
authorized access points (only really needed in scenario 3 (card catalogs) and
scenario 2 (MARC)) will continue to affect how Preferred Titles and Preferred
Names are determined. The choice for preferred title and preferred name is
consistently stated in RDA as being done in light of being "the basis for the
authorized access point".

But there appears to be an alternative procedure already in place in RDA.
Generally, parts of works are treated as standalone titles (RDA 6.2.2.9), even
a title as non-distinct as "Part 1". Stitching together the elements for
authorized access point for non-distinct titles involves bringing in other
elements, such as the authorized access point for the larger work (RDA
6.27.2.2).

It would make sense then for religious works to follow the same pattern, which
would mean the Preferred Title for Genesis could be

"Genesis" instead of "Bible. Genesis"

leaving the authorized access point to be a concatenated construction including
either the authorized access point for the larger work or qualifiers consisting
of other elements.

In the case of religious works, there is a consistent pattern for all
scriptures to use subdivisions of the larger work (Bible, Talmud, Qur'an,
Vedas, Upanishads, and so on) in the authorized access point for the part.
These could be covered as additional exceptions for Parts of Works in RDA
6.27.2.2.

There is also an inherent bias to choosing forms for preferred titles as well,
in the choice of predominant form (or as RDA describes the choice-"commonly
found" or "commonly identified"). I'm not sure how that relates to the bias for
the adherence to the Protestant Authorized Version in the choices for the
authorized access points. However, separating out the individual title of the
book of the Bible as the Preferred Title of the Religious Work (consistent with
RDA 6.2.2.9) from the concatenation for the authorized access point for the
work might go partway in resolving this issue.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library