Even under the operating regime of AACR2, my own catalog ALREADY has a bunch of titles in all-capitals, including mainly records that we get from third-party vendors, usually an e-book platform that gives us records for titles included in the platform. Yeah, a bunch of them have all capital titles. No, I don't like it either. But it happens anyway, regardless of there being no "rule" anywhere "allowing" it. And it has not been a high priority for us to do something about with our very limited resources, there are WAY worse problems than this. This is the world we live in, and it's not going to change regardless of what any cataloging code says.

(Although some day we certainly might find time to fix these by automatically identifying them and switching them to title or sentance-case, if they start to cause real problems. It would be nice if we could then share these changes with everyone else, but of course these are exactly the records that we DON'T get or share via OCLC.)

(And then of course, we have the all-capital titles that are "on order", which we too do, as many of us do. If all capital titles were so awful an accessibility issue, then we'd all be horribly guilty for doing this with our 'on order' titles, why is it acceptable to limit accessibility for 'on order' titles either? If this is a big problem, why has it not been on everyone's minds way before now, since we've been doing that for years? Some of our 'on order' and otherwise 'non-standard' records, which use all-caps titles, have lasted for years, even decades, in my own catalog. And if we DID decide to spend time trying to automatically sentance or title case other all-caps titles, I guess we'd have to spend extra time fine-tuning our software to NOT change the case of these, since it's apparently important for internal work-flow that they be all caps? See, sacrificing capitalization to internal workflow efficiencies is NOT at all a new thing, for most of us -- it's exactly what we've been doing with these 'on order' and 'non standard' records in all caps, no? )

On 5/17/2011 4:26 PM, Beacom, Matthew wrote:

Ha, ha, ha. If I take my glasses off, I’d give it 10 unless I’m pressing my nose against the monitor.

I think part of this discussion that relates to RDA (there are other parts I care about, too, such as using regular expressions to manipulate case in MARC records) is the relative importance of the capitalization to the effectiveness of catalogs and thus RDA’s allowance of all caps in a transcribed area such as the title. I don’t see RDA’s openness to variations in capitalization as a negative.

I am trying to “correct” the all caps in the record set I have. Pretty much for all the reasons of readability and just broadly meeting user expectations.

Matthew

*From:*Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access [mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] *On Behalf Of *Pat Sayre McCoy
*Sent:* Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:43 PM
*To:* RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
*Subject:* Re: [RDA-L] [ACAT] Upper case in records

I’d give it a 6 if I take my glasses off. And many people’s vision cannot be corrected to any sharper than mine. I don’t think it’s up to us to decide what can be read and by whom. There are websites that discuss ADA accessibility and how to be sure your system meets the criteria. That said, it may be an ILS issue, not a cataloging issue. But do we have to make things difficult for people? Our library has made the decision to change the capitalization to standard U.S. English usage because it’s more familiar to our catalog users and we have used all caps to mean a title is still on order.

Pat

Patricia Sayre-McCoy

Head of Law Cataloging and Serials

D'Angelo Law Library