>Mike McReynolds wrote:  "Browsing a catalog of jumbled records does not seem
>like a desirable exercise for users."

The University of Chicago Library now has nearly 7,000 active RDA bibliographic
records in our catalog.  While 7,000 may seem like a lot (and it probably is in
the context of the total population of RDA records right now), it is a
miniscule fraction of the overall database in which they reside.  Our catalog
has over 6 million bibliographic records and is approaching 10 million
holdings, reflecting a plethora of historical cataloging rules, practices,
policies, metadata schema, and (still) evolving cooperative cataloging
guidelines.  So I have to agree with Benjamin...hybridity is a given, not an
option.  If my math is correct (admittedly, not my strong suit), these RDA
records currently amount to only 0.0011% of our total database.  So
statistically, it is probably close to impossible for any one person to even
find themselves in a position of browsing through "jumbled records" in any
given list of search results in our catalog.  Modifying 6,000,000 records to
look like 7,000 records doesn't seem logical, let alone practical, and so we
feel we can afford a certain amount of patience at this transitional juncture,
as we see how things play out at the national level, before modifying anything
(either AACR2 or RDA) at the local level.

When it comes to the integration of RDA records with AACR2 ones, the lack of
GMDs in RDA seems to get a lot of attention on this list.  There are valid and
shared concerns here, too, for users who may be accustomed to seeing GMDs
display in the traditional Horizon OPAC (not our "next-gen" Aquabrowser
interface), and using those GMDs to make decisions on what resources to access.
 But this concern is also put in the context of the fact that we don't expect
to have either of these two catalog interfaces in their present form after 2012
(we are a build-partner for Kuali-OLE).  So we are generally undergoing a
process of assessing how we want data to be delivered to and used by patrons.
Our future catalogs will not consist of MARC records alone (our Aquabrowser
interface already doesn't, actually).  Our data will come from a variety of
sources beyond MARC, most all of which (Dublin Core records, TEI data, EAD
files, library Web pages, geospatial data, and the like) do not have GMDs
either, but their metadata may indicate content types and carrier types in
other, equally valid and important ways.  Of the 6 million MARC bibs we have,
only 1.3 million (22%) even have a 245$h GMD populated.  GMDs were a means to
and end (a selectively-applied, not consistently-applied means, I would add),
not the end itself.  Going forward, we feel no particular impetus to tie
ourselves to that specific data construct by adding GMDs to RDA records.
Rather, we are looking at managing the broader spectrum of data that indicate
content and carrier types across all resources and their varied metadata.
Within this context, GMDs do not represent the common bar we need to set.

I think at this stage, if we were going to consider any kind of "retrospective
conversion" of existing MARC records at Chicago, (a) I wouldn't even call it
that because of the historical baggage it carries, and (b) it would not be done
solely at the local level, but perhaps as a result of policies that eventually
get developed for master records in OCLC (which may allow is to update local
records via OCLC Bibliographic Record Notification).  And again, we recognize
that it may take some time for such policies to be developed and implemented.
Over the years, we have focused efforts to take advantage of working at the
cooperative/network level, not the local level; adopting RDA will only
strengthen, not reverse, that approach at Chicago.

--Chris.

Christopher Cronin
Director of Metadata & Cataloging Services
University of Chicago Library
1100 E. 57th Street
Chicago, IL 60637

Phone: 773-702-8739