So that we don't get side-tracked into discussion of improper cataloging, I think I should quickly find an example that is "better." I'll do that and post it.

kc

Quoting "J. McRee Elrod" <m...@slc.bc.ca>:

From Karen Coyle's http://kcoyle.net/rda/RDAinXML.html

LC control no.:       87211501
Type of material:  Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)

In RDA, this would be: text, unmediated, volume

Personal name:     Omescu, Ion.
Uniform title:     Hamlet. French

This would be the uniform title of a French translation of Hamlet, *not*
of a criticism of Hamlet.

Main title:        Hamlet, ou, La tentation du possible : essai / Ion Omesco
                   ; avant-propos d'Henri Gouhier.
Edition:           1re ‚d.

In RDA, this would be spelled out, if spelled out on the item.

Published/Created: Paris : Presses universitaires de France, c1987.

In RDA, if "France" was on the source, it would be transcribed.  There
would be two years, publication and copyright. e.g., [1987], c1987.

Related titles:    Tentation du possible.

This is not a related title; it is a portion of the title; in MARC
246 30, not 740  2.

In RDA "pages" would be spelled out, and "cm." would have a period only
if series were displayed after, as opposed to being last.  (ISBD order
of elements grew out of experience.)

ISBN:              2130401309
Notes:             Includes index.
                   Bibliography: p. [269]-270.

It is not clear to me whether LCPS will opt for "Includes bibliographic
references (pages [269[-279) and index", as is now the case.

Subjects:          Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.  Hamlet.

If the work discusses the personality of Hamlet, I would add a personal
name entry (as opposed to at title entry) for Hamlet as a fictitious
character, 650 in AACR2, 600 in RDA.

Series:            Litt‚ratures modernes

Whether this is the 490 or 830, it seems best displayed after collation
to me.  How is a cataloguer to know where it will be displayed, if not in
ISBD order, so whether to put a period on "cm"?

RDA says nothing about display, but display (perhaps mistakenly)
affects punctuation.  It would be far simpler to have standardized
punctuation for each element.

Casey Mullin posted:

Preferred Title of the work: Hamlet

No.  The work is a criticism of Hamlet, not the play Hamlet.  The
preferred title is the French title of the work.

Authorized Access Point Representing the Expression: "Omescu, Ion.
Hamlet. French"

No.  Again, "Hamlet" is the title of the play or character which is
the subject of the work, not the title of the work.  "French" would be
added the the uniform title for a translation of the play.  The fact
that the critique of the play or character is in French would not
affect the subject entry point for the play.

Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net
ph: 1-510-540-7596
m: 1-510-435-8234