The RDA 18.3 core element for principal or first-named creator is still
essential for many library operations, from cutters on spine labels, to default
receipt or small label printing, to discovery layer brief displays which can
only display a small number of fields. The authorized access point for the work
is recycled for other contexts (such as work headings treated as subjects), so
there may always be a need to reference back to a resource and have the
principal or first-named creator identified.

The 100 field then has a double purpose that should still be reflected in a new
encoding environment:

1. A creator of a work, or other associated with a work; possible one of many
creators or others associated with a work

2. A core element chosen because it would also appear as the first element in
the authorized access point for the work

What is handled awkwardly in MARC is the possibility that the Person is both a
Creator and a Contributor (having a relationship to the work and to the
expression).

In the example from the RDA-MARC examples in the RDA Toolkit

100 1_ $a Porter, Kalan, $e composer, $e singer

The "composer" is a relationship designator to the work. The "singer" is a
relationship designator to the expression.

http://www.rdatoolkit.org/sites/default/files/6jsc_rda_complete_examples_bibliographic_jul0312_rev.pdf

In the RDA example, Kalan Porter is listed twice:

Work
Creator: Porter, Kalan
Designator: composer

Expression
Contributor: Porter, Kalan
Designator: singer

But as the sole creator, "Porter, Kalan" also forms the first element in the
authorized access point for the work (aka main entry):

Authorized Access Point for the Work:
Porter, Kalan. 219 days.

In MARC, one could never have:

100 1_ $a Porter, Kalan, $e singer
(an expression relationship cannot fit into 100 because the authorized access
point for the work requires a Person related to the Work)

But one can have:

100 1_ $a Porter, Kalan, $ecomposer, $e singer
(multiple relationships and functions for the name "Porter, Kalan" are
compressed in this encoding)

But this is more common now:

100 1_ $a Porter, Kalan

>From which one can only deduce that this element is the first part of the
>authorized access point for the work. It's not even clear if the Person is a
>"Creator" or an "Other Associated with a Work". Not all Person main entry
>headings were Creators in AACR2, and this is carried forward in RDA. There is
>that other element in RDA 19.3: "Other Person, Corporate Body or Family
>Associated with a Work" that can also be the first element in the authorized
>access point for a work.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library