We have reached the point where I need to stop pretending to have the answers.

This is indeed the critical issue, and there are differences of opinion in the
moving-image community about this.

RDA defines the screenwriter as a creator -- one of the few creator
relationships applicable to a moving-image work -- and this is hotly contested.
RDA considers a screenwriter to be a sub-category of "author" and authors are
by definition creators. In my opinion, that doesn't work well for moving-image
works; the script is not typically part of the original conception of the work,
but is a part of the realization of somebody else's conception of the work. The
producer/production company and the director are (I think) stronger candidates
for creators of the work; actually, RDA considers them to be other persons
associated with the work, rather than creators, but definitely considers them
as related to the work, rather than the expression.

I don't pretend that these are definitive answers. You will certainly find
people who disagree with me. However, I think that you ask the right question:
Which aspects are associated with the work and which with the expression?

I should note that the Online Audio-visual Catalogers group has done a lot of
work on this question. Various documents (under "Moving-image works ..." can be
found at http://olacinc.org/drupal/?q=node/359. I don't agree with all their
conclusions, but they have clearly done a lot of thinking about these issues.
And they clearly represent the community that needs to be doing this thinking.

John Attig
Authority Control Librarian
Penn State University
jx...@psu.edu