From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Kevin M Randall
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:39 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Additional work required by RDA

Steven Arakawa wrote:

> Although the $a terms may be incomprehensible to the public, locally
> you could selectively add $3 to 338 with more appropriate carrier
> terms and include the more specific terms in the display; you would
> have more control over the terminology that best suits your user
> community. The 338
> $3 carrier term could be keyword indexed and could be set to display
> with the brief title and/or as part of a labeled, full record display
> with the $3 terms for content and media type.

33X subfield $3 is for "Materials specified", meaning the portion of the
resource to which the field applies.  The example:

        338 ## $a sheet $2 rdacarrier $3 liner notes

means that for the resource being described, the carrier type term "sheet"
applies to the liner notes, not to the audiodisc or videodisc that it
accompanies.

Subfield $3 is not for an alternative term to the one given in $a.  The
definition of subfield $3 for the 33X fields parallels the definition in other
fields such as 490.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Library