Certainly, more form/genre term would be helpful; but if "interactive material"
(or whatever it was called) was a content type, we could use form/genre
headings to record and provide access to specific genres of games and
interactive documents (of which there are many).

I appreciate what you are saying about the difficulty of creating a generalized
vocabulary.  It has always been my understanding (or my hope) that these lists
were not meant to be canonical for all time--that we should expect new terms to
come into the vocabulary as people find new uses for it.

I think that if content type is meant to categorize "the fundamental form of
communication in which the content is expressed and the human sense through
which it is intended to be perceived" then none of the existing content type
express the fact that ludic material is meant to be "perceived" through
interaction.  "Text" implies static content (and anyways not all game are
textual in nature--have you ever played Set?  If not, I recommend it for any
cataloger--in fact, I use it my cataloging class to demonstrate what "facets"
are.)

It also occurs to me that RDA 6.9.1.3 states, " Record as many [content type]
terms as are applicable to the resource being described " so a computer game,
for example, could be described:

336 $a computer $b c $2 rdacontent
336 $a interactive $b i $2 rdacontent

Finally--I certainly agree with you about DVD's, and I don't really think RDA
content/media/carrier vocabularies improve upon that situation.  If anything
they go backwards--under AACR2 it was common to code the 300 $a as "1 CD-ROM"
or "1 DVD-ROM", but under RDA we're supposed to "record the extent of the
resource by giving the number of units and an appropriate term for the type of
carrier" which leads us to record "1 computer disc".  The only way I've figured
out to indicate "DVD" vs "Blu-Ray" or "CD-ROM" vs "DVD-ROM" is with a note.

In any case this is an interesting discussion, so thank you.

==Ben

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries