On Friday, October 26, 2012, Greta de Groat wrote:

We also ran into problems with a book that consisted almost entirely of
stereographic images, but volume isn't listed under stereographic carriers
so we weren't sure we could use 337 stereographic with 338 volume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscope

Apparently, stereographic images can also appear on slides, printed sheets,
and iPhones, so, I would say that the carrier list might need updating for
this media, but until that happens, it seems to me that the only option, to
mirror the media, would be to use 'other' as the carrier type.

But I'm assuming that you also have text in this resource, so perhaps the
logic might be that as long as you record *a* carrier type you are covered.

So, I would say to myself "what I have here are still images (Content) that
can be accessed using a stereographic viewer (Media) or can be viewed
unmediated (Media)-although not the way they were intended, although you can
apparently force your eyes to see stereographically without a viewer-in a
volume (Carrier)", so:

Content Type (336$a): still image

Content Type (336$a): text

Media Type (337$a): stereographic

Media Type (337$a): unmediated

Carrier Type (338$a): volume

Extent (300$a): [n] pages

Nature of the Content(500$a): Stereographic images with commentary text

So, let me ask Greta's question again: is it ok to list a Media Type,
without also listing its specifically corresponding Carrier Type, as long as
you *do* list a carrier type for other contents?

Deborah

Deborah Fritz

TMQ, Inc.

 <mailto:debo...@marcofquality.com> debo...@marcofquality.com

 <http://www.marcofquality.com> www.marcofquality.com

We also ran into problems with a book that consisted almost entirely of
stereographic images, but volume isn't listed under stereographic carriers
so we weren't sure we could use 337 stereographic with 338 volume.

Greta de Groat
Stanford University Libraries