Chris Todd wrote:

> I endorse Kevin's reading of this situation as the relationship between a
> resource and the series that it is part of. I also went back to chapter 6 to
> look at the instructions for creating authorised access points for works.
> The basic instruction involves adding the authorized access point for the
> creator (where there is one) to the preferred title for the the work. The
> relationship designator doesn't get a mention as part of this structure, so
> I'm assuming it would not be part of the 800 field.

Here's the path from Chapter 6:

        6.27 (Constructing Access Points to Represent Works and Expressions)
        6.27.1.1 (General Guidelines on Constructing Authorized Access Points
Representing Works)

                refers to:

        19.2 (Creator)
        19.2.1.3 (Recording Creators)

                refers to:

        18.4 (Recording Relationships to Persons, Families, and Corporate
Bodies Associated with a Resource)
        18.4.1 (Conventions Used to Record Persons, Families, and Corporate
Bodies Associated with the Resource)

                refers to:

        18.5 (Relationship Designator)
        18.5.1.3 (Recording Relationship Designators)

                says:  "Record one or more appropriate terms from the list in
appendix I with an identifier and/or authorized access point representing the
person, family, or corporate body to indicate the nature of the relationship
more specifically than is indicated by the defined scope of the relationship
element itself."

I do have to admit that it took a bit of digging to discover this path...

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Library
k...@northwestern.edu