From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Deborah Fritz
[debo...@marcofquality.com]
Sent: November-26-12 5:23 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Recording Statements of Responsibility Relating to Series

>Since we are not using linking identifiers to reference related entities, in
>our current MARC environment, we use Authorized Access Points; so the 800
>must contain the Authorized Access Point for the related work, and could
>contain a Relationship Designator to explain the relationship between the
>two *works*. At this point, I assume we are using the 800 tag to indicate
>the series relationship rather than adding $i In Series (Work).

The 800 tag itself does map to the relationship designator "in series (work)".

Although much focus has been on the overhead of adding all those relationship
designators in subfield $e or $i, throughout MARC coding there's a huge number
of tags, indicators, and subfields that map to relationship designators-- all
arranged in a terribly inconsistent manner with all sorts of selective support
for display in many OPACs.

One way to look at RDA's set of relationship designators in the Appendixes is
as a compendium of all current data that functions as relationship designators.
It's completely agnostic in that sense-- they're all there together regardless
of how well they've been implemented in MARC or how easy they will be able to
be handled retrospectively.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library