On 08/03/2013 20:48, Brenndorfer, Thomas wrote:
<snip>
> But they haven't "stopped." The choice of main entry (just choosing the main
> author responsible) is still part of the choice for identifying the work. The
> uniform title choice (or lack of a decision about it) doesn't change the fact
> that a work exists in a manifestation, and it doesn't change the other
> decisions that revolve around that fact. There is still a specific choice
> being made about authorship for the main intellectual or creative content.
> Even if no other editions exist, it still might be ambiguous as what the work
> in an item actually is, and who is primarily responsible for it. AACR2 (and
> mostly copied in RDA) has may situations when catalogers are called upon to
> tease out the relationships among entities that exist in an item, as well as
> to do things in a consistent way that is cognizant of relationships between
> entities in resources in a collection.
</snip>

So, we see the pronouncements of the purest "true believer". It is a
"fact" that "a work exists within a manifestation"? It is important to
keep in mind that this is *not* a fact, but a belief that may or may not
be true, much as whether a soul exists in the body of a person. --The
reason I am pointing this out by the way, is that my mother-in-law
(quite a lady, incidentally) passed away just in the last few days. Her
funeral was today--

So, is there is a "work" dwelling within a manifestation, similar to a
soul dwelling within the body? To answer yes or no is merely a matter of
faith, not a matter of fact.

In my own opinion, it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that
doctors create medical care (or catalogers create cataloging practice)
that either works in our own world of experience or does not work in our
world of experience. The metaphysical world can be left to sort things
out for itself. We need to determine whether what we create today--not
30 years in the future--is an improvement over what we have--or does not
improve anything at all. Whether we like it or not, all kinds of
situations, tools, materials have been left to our keeping. We cannot
ignore what we have been left. To do so is simply... crazy. There is
something in cataloging called--in my own opinion, the insulting term:
legacy data. Maybe it's not everything we would like; we would like more
of it and we would like it to be different. Too bad. It is what we have
inherited and represents everything that we have. Many others rely on
it. Renounce that, ignore it, and we renounce everything. We harm more
than just ourselves and all will be left to suffer the consequences.

Neither RDA nor FRBR has demonstrated that there is any advantage over
what we have now. In fact, I have gone to some pains to demonstrate that
there will be tremendous *dis*-advantages compared to what we have
today. Plus, if we say that it is important for people to do the FRBR
user tasks, they can do them now. Right now. Today.

But this is ignored. Therefore, I can only conclude that the FRBR user
tasks are unimportant. People haven't been able to do those tasks since
keyword was introduced, what was it, over *20 years ago*!? And yet there
was no outcry. When facets actually allowed the user tasks again, there
was no fanfare. Clearly, *nobody cares* about that. What else can anyone
possibly conclude? RDA and FRBR have *never*--absolutely
*never*--demonstrated that they will, or can, create something better
for the *public* than what we have now. Not in realistic, practical
terms. Ever. Only vague graphs and promises. And yet people are supposed
to keep the faith that they will make a real, substantive difference.

A very sad state of affairs for the cataloging world.

Up until FRBR, a "work" manifested itself only as an arrangement of the
records. That's it. Nothing more. If there was only one record, that has
always been enough. Nobody has shown any advantage of the added
complexity of RDA. Doesn't it make sense to expect that someone should
*demonstrate* some practical advantages, somewhere along the way? But
that might lead to questions that might puncture the faith.

Pretending that there is a spiritual "work" and "expression" (it appears
that BIBFRAME may even drop something out of this mystical union) is
only holding on to a theory that some, but not all, consider to be
"beautiful".

Sooner or later though, the public will speak. And it will be
interesting to discover what they have to say. Even if we hear complete
silence.
--
*James Weinheimer* weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com
*First Thus* http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/