From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of JOHN C ATTIG
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:19 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] RDA instructions for accompanying material?

The LC/PCC Policy Statement for 3.1.4 is a combination of pragmatic guidance
and instructions carried forward from AACR2; as Ian's initial analysis showed,
this practice is not really justified by instructions in RDA.

In RDA, accompanying material is treated as a relationship to a Related
Manifestation (27.1), specifically an accompanying manifestation (J.4.5).  As
with all relationships, there are several ways of recording this one: an
identifier (if you have a separate description you can link to), an authorized
access point (if you can create an access point for the material), or a
structured or unstructured description.  My interpretation is that the ISBD
Accompanying Material element is a structured description of the accompanying
manifestation.  Unfortunately, RDA contains no *instructions* for recording
structured descriptions.  This applies not only to accompanying material, but
also to other common features such as contents notes.  I proposed this issue as
a project to CC:DA, and there is a Task Force working to draft appropriate
instructions for recording both contents notes and accompanying materials
statements (and perhaps other things); a preliminary report of this Task Force
(which includes a strawman proposal for such instructions) is available at
http://alcts.ala.org/ccdablog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/TFrelationships201301.pdf.
Once such instructions have been added to RDA, then the MARC mappings will need
to be revised and will be much more helpful.

In the meantime, I would advise catalogers -- particularly PCC catalogers -- to
follow the LC/PCC policy statement for 3.1.4.

And, to respond to a later contribution to this thread, RDA allows any of the
elements in Chapter 3 (the 33X and 34X fields) to be recorded to any component
of the item, whether the primary component or accompanying material -- if the
cataloger believes that this information is important.  I would strongly urge
that subfield $3 be used to identify the component being described.

       John Attig
       ALA Representative to the JSC
       Penn State University
       jx...@psu.edu<mailto:jx...@psu.edu>