Pam said:

>The Toolkit states "Record the extent of the resource by giving the number
>of units and an appropriate term for the type of carrier as listed under
>3.3.1.3."
>
>Therefore, wouldn't we use "1 videodisc" rather than "1 DVD"?

RDA also has the option of using a more exact unit name.  Why repeat a
term already in 338 in 300, when there is a more patron friendly one,
e,g, 338 object, and 300 Playaway?   Surely you would not use "object"
as unit name?  We would say "rock" for example, if the object is a rock.

While the too many RDA options will result in too great variety, we
should take advantage of options which will better serve our users.

In the absence of GMD, an exact unit name is even more vital than
before.  Most icons are generic, and media term display is still in
flux.  Sometimes a media is is no help, e.g., "other".  How would that
be as a unit name?

I add "if the most exact and popular" to your quoted Toolkit provision
above.   How often to you hear people say "videodisc" for a DVD?