In RDA 1.4, we read: "When recording an element listed above as a supplied element, record the supplied element in the most appropriate language and script." (The elements listed are those that are normally transcribed more or less exactly in the bibliographic description.)

Now I was wondering what might be a good policy for the "most appropriate language". The LC-PCC PS for 1.4 doesn't comment on this point, although I think there can easily be different opinions as to what is "most appropriate".

For instance, according to AACR2 (1.4C6.), the probable place of publication, distribution etc. is to be given "in the English form of name if there is one", whereas the German RAK rules (§ 144,3) call for giving such a place "if possible, in its original language form". So, you'd have to use "Florence" according to AACR2, but "Firenze" according to RAK.

The example given in AACR2 1.4C6. is "[Munich?]", and this example is still there in RDA 2.8.2.6.2. But taking into account that RDA examples are not prescriptive, but illustrative only, I think that RDA 1.4 would also make it possible to write "[München?]", if one believes the original language form to be the most appropriate.

Giving places of publication, distribution etc. in their original language makes a lot of sense to me, because if the information *had* been on the resource, the source of information would indeed probably have read "Firenze", "München" a.s.o. So, my thinking for a possible policy statement at the moment runs along these lines:

For most elements, the language of the title proper is the most appropriate, if an element has to be supplied. But for elements from the production statement, publication statement, distribution statement or manufacture statement, the language of the country where the producer, publisher etc. is based should be seen as the most appropriate. Proviso: If the cataloger's knowledge of the language in question isn't sufficient, the language preferred by the agency is used instead (in our case, this would be German).

Do you think this would be a sensible policy, or would you argue against using the original language in the cases mentioned?

I'm also a bit puzzled about e.g. the "title proper of series". I believe I would only supply this if I found it in some other source, e.g. in an advertising brochure (cf. RDA 2.2.4). Then I'd simply transcribe this, and wouldn't have to worry about the question of language at all, wouldn't I?

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.