From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Deborah Fritz
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 2:36 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] What is the appropriate RDA element for a term like "Board
book" or "Scented book"

Does anyone know, which, if any, of the RDA elements for Physical Carriers
would be appropriate for this type of information:

Board book
Rag book
Bath book
Pop-up book
Touch-and-feel book
Scented book
Sound story book
Sticker book
Die-cut book (e.g., shaped like a shark)

Most of these terms are from ONIX, and there are others in the list below that
show up in AACR records now and then:
http://www.editeur.org/files/ONIX%20for%20books%20-%20code%20lists/ONIX_BookProduct_CodeLists_Issue_20.html

Under AACR we would simply have added this kind of thing as a 1.7B10 Physical
Description Note (500), but I cannot see where to enter this type of
information as an RDA element (ignoring MARC for the time being)

3.6 Base Material is a possibility for:

Board book: Base Material: hardboard (?)
Rag book: Base Material: textile
Bath book: Base Material: plastic

But I don't think those terms convey the information as well as the ONIX terms.

3.6.1.4 Details of Base Material would allow us to make this more note-like,
e.g., On board pages shaped in profile of a bear (LCCN: 2009934889) ; but I
don't think 'Scented book' fits under Base material at all.

The Extent of Text instructions  (3.4.5) are quite restrictive, with no
allowance for the kind of leeway allowed under other types of materials, e.g.,
under 3.4.4.2 (Extent of Still Images)  "If none of the terms listed above is
appropriate, use a term designating the type of unit as concisely as possible".
So we cannot say "1 board book" we must say pagination, or "1 volume (unpaged)"

In lieu of any other element, I'm leaning towards using 3.22.3 Note on Extent
of Item:

Extent of Text: 1 volume (unpaged)
Note on Extent of Item: Board book

MARC:
300$a 1 volume (unpaged)
500$aBoard book.

Does this sound reasonable?

If we do not have an appropriate RDA element for these terms, then they,
technically, do not belong in an RDA record, do they? And yet it seems a pity
to not add this kind of information, if we can just figure out how this data
fits into the RDA attributes/elements.

Deborah

Deborah Fritz
TMQ, Inc.