RDA 6.23.2.9.2 says: "For books of the Catholic or Protestant canon, record the brief citation form of the Authorized Version as a subdivision of the preferred title for the Bible."

Is my interpretation correct that "Authorized Version" here is not meant in a general sense of "some standard version", but rather as a reference to a specific English version of the Bible, namely the King James Bible?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorized_Version

I'm asking because I've just noticed that "of the Authorized Version" has been translated into German as "der autorisierten Version" (i.e. "of the authorized version", in a general descriptive sense, not as a specific title). This makes it sound as if it was some unspecified, somehow authorized version, which doesn't sound right to me. Also, it wouldn't be helpful as it doesn't tell us who is supposed to do the authorizing (the agency?) and according to which criteria.

The French, on the other hand, seem to have deliberately - and, I'd say, very reasonably - changed the meaning: "Pour les livres du canon catholique ou protestant, enregistrer une forme brève du titre du livre consacré par l'usage en français comme subdivision du titre privilégié de la Bible." So, they explicitly state that the title of the book should follow French usage.

I think 6.23.2.9.2 should be adapted to make it really "international", e.g. by saying "record the title of the book according to a standard version of the Bible in the language and script preferred by the agency".

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.