I'm confused about the capitalization of the examples in 2.5.6.3 (Recording Designations of a Named Revision of an Edition).

This rule and its examples came over from AACR2 mostly untouched (the phrase "designation of" replaces AACR2's "statement relating to" ... and that's about it), except that in AACR2, the first word of the "statement relating to ..." was capitalized, whereas in RDA it is not capitalized in two of the four examples (in another of the four, the first word *is* capitalized; in the other, there's no way to tell because because the designation of edition and the designation of a named revision to it are both ALL-CAPS).

To the extent that examples are prescriptive for capitalization, here's what AACR2 prescribed compared to what RDA seems to be prescribing:

AACR2 (1.2D1): World's classics ed., New ed., rev., reset, and illustrated.
RDA (2.5.6.3): World's classics edition, new edition, revised, reset, and illustrated.

AACR2 (1.2D1): 4th ed. ..., Reprinted with corrections.
RDA (2.5.6.3): 4th ed., reprinted with corrections.

In the one example that is new to RDA and that's not in ALL CAPS, the designation *is* capitalized:

RDA (2.5.6.3): 4th ed., Roads revised.

Does anyone know whether it's the case, as the first two examples imply, that we no longer capitalize the first word of a designation of a named revision, or is it the case, as the third example implies, that we continue to capitalize the first word?

If there were no examples at all in 2.5.6.3, I would capitalize the first word based on the instruction in the rule to "Apply the instructions on recording designations of edition (see 2.5.2.3)," but the examples are making me wonder now.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Aloha,
Mike Chopey

--