Steven Arakawa said:

>Both will have 245 00 $a John Rawls. One difference between RDA and
>AACR2/LCRI was that monograph title main entry conflicts in the same
>way that serial title main entry conflicts, so one of the collections
>will need a 130 John Rawls with a qualifier.

How much simpler to insert a word in other title information ala
Margaret Mann.

>100 Ashbery, John.
>240 Poems. Selections
>245 The tennis court oath : a book of poems / John Ashbery.

With the exception of music and Shakespeare, our clients dislike
uniform titles (130 or 240) not on the item.  They particularly don't
like them if the title is distinctive.  I agree with them,
particularly for ILS which display the 240 rather than the 245.

In most collections, there would be too few hits under authors such as
"Asbery, John", to make the uniform title helpful.  A little
pragmatism and awareness of patron preferences please.

See also Kevin Randall's perceptive comments in this thread.  His
description of our practice as bizarre and inconsistent is spot on.  I
can only assume lack of communication between theorists and end users.