Thomas said
<snip>
No, there is no equation of 'preferred title for the work' and the
authorized access point for the work.

The preferred title for the work is one element only. Mapping it in MARC
would mean mapping it to 240 $a,$n,$p,$k -- but not to the rest of the 240
subfields.

RDA 5.3 says to record additional elements to differentiate identical
titles of works.

To differentiate the title one could add tags in bibliographic or authority
records corresponding to the additional elements in RDA 5.3:

Form of Work - 380 $a
Date of Work - 046 $k
Place of Origin of the Work - 370 $g (authority record only)
Other Distinguishing Characteristic of the Work - 381 $a
<snip>

If we can add all these distinguishing characteristics to make the
preferred title unique, why can't we add the most salient distinguishing
characteristic of all to make the preferred title unique, the author?

You can say that the relationship between the creator and the work is a
different kind of relationship from the relationship between the date of
composition and the work or the form of the work and the work, or the place
of origin of the work and the work, or "other distinguishing
characteristics" (yipes, who knows what kinds of relationship to the work
these may have; why do we have to dance around so much to avoid the creator
here?).

--
Adger Williams
Colgate University Library