Adam and Kevin,

Thanks for the examples. Now I understand much better what this is all about.

Perhaps a comparison with the German rules is of interest here. The older German cataloging code, the "Prussian instructions" (1899/1908), had elaborate rules for collective titles. But with the development of the RAK rules in the 1970s, these were much reduced. RAK only knows one single collective title ("[Sammlung]", i.e. "[Collection]"); so there is no "works", "novels" etc., and no "selections".

The RAK rule for the collective title isn't much in use nowadays. I think that most people feel (wrongly, I suppose) that it was only relevant in the age of card catalogs. But anyway, here's what the rule says:

Make an added name-title entry ("Name of author: [Collection]" or "Name of author: [Collection] <Language>]") under the following conditions: - if only the titles of the individual works are on the source of information (there is no title for the whole) - if the title of the collection is of a generic type, e.g. "Collected works", "Schiller's plays", "Letters from the years ...", "Selected philosophical writings" a.s.o.

I think this comes close to Kevin's idea of when a collective title should be used.

Editions of poems or books of photographs or some such of one person do not fall under this rule. They are not treated as collections, but as single works. This makes a lot of sense to me: When a poet publishes a book of poems under a specific title, he or she will probably think of this as *one* work.

Now back to RDA. After some more thinking, I wonder whether the problem might be that we're mixing up two quite different things: The question of what is the title of the work with a need for collocating certain types of publication.

As it stands, RDA seems to fall short in two ways:

1. As Kevin has already pointed out, it is quite odd not to use a distinct title (perhaps even one chosen by the author) as the title of the work. Also, the decision which cases fall under the first sentence of 6.2.2.10 must be very difficult, so I'm not surprised that the application is somewhat arbitrary.

2. The collocation mechanism doesn't work as well as it should, because the cases treated unter the first sentence of 6.2.2.10 would not come up under the collective title.

Could we perhaps solve these problems by clearly distinguishing between the title of the work on the one hand and the mechanism for collocation on the other? If you think about it, something like "Short stories. Selections" isn't *really* a title of the work. It is rather a description, telling us it is a collection and giving information about the genre and the degree of completeness. These are certainly attributes of the work, but it's not the title. In RDA, they should be placed somewhere else, probably in chapter 7, and they should be recorded in every case, quite regardless of whether the title is distinct or generic.

The reason for "disguising" information about genre etc. as the title of the work may be that this is one of the few work elements which are recorded in the composite description - and therefore can be used for collocation. If we had records for every work, and these were linked with the manifestations, we could record information like "collection", genre and completeness as separate elements in the work record. Then a user could search the records for the works for the combination of a certain author, "collection" and e.g. "short stories", and also ask for all manifestations linked with these work records.

I remember that ALA mentions the aspect of genre as a desideratum in their excellent discussion paper on the treatment of subjects: http://www.rda-jsc.org/working2.html#6ala-discussion2.
This was welcomed in the German response:
http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-ALA-Discussion-2-DNB-response.pdf

Heidrun