I've used Red Hat's developer toolset for years on RHEL5 to be able to
build stuff there using gcc 4.8 and that software has seemed to run fine
when shipping to people running RHEL5 and RHEL6. I have "source
/opt/rh/devtoolset-2/enable" in my bash profile and that sets all the
environment variables whenever I log in. That includes some code built on
top of RDKit, so it seems like it should work on the technical side,
although obviously there is a barrier in getting it installed and set up
correctly.

-David