I whole heartedly agree.

One thing that may help RHEL6 is that anaconda actually can install/build
gcc4.8 in user space: https://anaconda.org/anaconda/gcc/.  Note: it does
require root to install some dependencies, but doesn't override the system
gcc.

While this is not a complete solution for many applications, for python and
python related packages it really is a god-send.  We have some legacy
systems stuck on RHEL6 and have had to use this to compile some newer
packages.

As a side note, the latest Xcode update has deprecated libstdc++ which is
par-for-the-course dealing with Apple's style of updating.  This will
likely require recompilation and new packages on Anaconda which will
probably be painful.

Cheers,
 Brian