Subject: [RE-wrenches] NEC Art 310 Ampacity
From: Peter Parrish <peter.parr...@calsolareng.com>
To: 'RE-wrenches' <re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>
Date: 2009/8/5 16:45

When we do ampacity calculations, we always use Table 310.16 in Section
310.15 for wire in raceway (EMT, PVC, FMC, LNFC, LMFC), and MC cable. Of
course we use Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) in a raceway or cable with more than
three conductors.

A colleague asked me about the applicability of table B.310.1. It would seem
to apply to 2-3 conductors within an overall covering (multi-conductor
cable) in raceway in free air. Would MC apply? But what in the world is a
"cable, in raceway, in free air"?  I'm usually pretty good in parsing this
stuff, but this stumps me.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.