Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507
505 424-1112
www.positiveenergysolar.com

On 1/24/2011 11:05 AM, Warren Lauzon wrote:
All controllers have failures – most commonly due to user/installer errors. Of all the controllers we sell, Morningstar have been by far the most trouble free and has the best no-hassle warranty.

We have probably sold/installed around 100 to 200 of the SS-MPPT-15 controllers over the past year or so, and have seen almost zero problems that were not caused by a bad installation of some sort. Just on a side note, of all the controllers of all brands we have sold over the past decade, probably 3/4 of those returned by end users as “not working” has nothing wrong with them.

Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] 10A Charge / load controller

The spec sheet for the SS-MPPT says 75 volts maximum open circuit.  Maximum PV power: 200 watts for 12-volt batteries and 400-watts for 24-volt batteries.  While it is supposed to be protected from PV overload and PV high voltage, it doesn't seem surprising that failures that have been observed are in systems that are pushing on these limits.  Fortunately, Morningstar stands behind their product.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.

bob ellison wrote:

From memory it seems that the max voltage listed in the manual for the Sun Saver MPPT is 35 volts but I don’t have it handy.