Bill,

See 2011 NEC 690.14(D) or 2014 NEC 690.15(A) Utility-Interactive Inverters
Mounted in Not Readily Accessible Locations.  Basically there is no maximum
height restriction for inverters but there are a number of requirements for AC
and DC disconnecting means.  See NEC 404.8 for maximum disconnect height of 6’
7”…although exception No. 2 may allow the disconnect to be accessible by
portable means.  I don’t know of any minimum height requirements in the code,
although most (all?) string and microinverter manufacturers specify a required
clearance below the inverter.  I suppose that would be the minimum.

Garrison

Garrison Riegel

Project Manager |  <http://www.solarserviceinc.com/> Solar Service Inc

[p] 847-677-0950 |  <mailto:garri...@solarserviceinc.com>
garri...@solarserviceinc.com

NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional™