hi Lou,

I don’t wish to contradict this version of events but if true then it will make
the inverter unsuitable for most generators.  Here is another scenario I have
seen a few times that looks similar but can be fixed.

The inverter charges the battery etc. and decides to turn off the generator.
It disconnects.  It may or may not have its own “cool down” time for the
generator.  It then tells the generator to stop.  At this point the generator
control circuit may decide to run a further cool down period.  Meantime
incoming AC voltage is still visible to the inverter.  The inverter may then
decide that it is obliged to connect to this running generator.  After any
chosen “warm up period” it may go ahead and synch with the running generator
and start to draw power just before and during the point where fuel is shut off
and it dies.  This causes power quality problems and errors in some inverters.
Maybe better firmware could fix this.  Victron inverters are designed to
disconnect on a falling voltage every time, and they do so gracefully.  With
SMA inverters and Outbacks it’s better avoided.

The best fix for this is to make sure that the generator does not have its own
cool down period.  If you can access and edit this parameter in the generator
this is best.  Another fix is to set a longer warmup time in the inverter
software but this can cause issues where the generator is being started to meet
a high load.  In the case of an SMA inverter you can get a fix to it using
“genman mode”.

I just wonder if you have witnessed the process and checked whether the
generator’s own built-in cool down period could be the cause.

cheers
Hugh