I can see that the TJI manu doesn't want us blowing 3/8" lags through the top chord of their engineered system.  On the other hand, it IS designed to have nails and at least deck screws put into it, as that's how the builder attaches the roof decking.  It seems that William's measured approach is (as usual) good advice. I think that multiple 1/4" lags with predilled holes might be acceptable, but that would be up to the engineers and AHJ.  My issue with the EZ feet is that you are entirely dependent on how well the roof decking was installed.  Nails and construction staples don't have great pull out resistance, so I would hope that the builder uses some type of rated screws to attach the decking.

Ray Walters

Remote Solar

On 3/3/18 10:52 AM, William Miller wrote:

Jerry:

We have successfully used the DPW EZ-feet on sheet metal, cathedral roofs with TJI rafters.  The cathedral roof made it impossible to install blocking.

The EZ-feet is supposedly rated to screw solely to roof sheeting.  When we first investigated the product, we discovered the fasteners recommended were not properly rated for sheeting thickness ranges.  I understand DPW corrected this.

Nonetheless, we used the EZ feet and used longer sheet metal screws where the foot landed over the TJI. This way we were not using fasteners quite as large in diameter as a lag and we gained the rating for the screws into sheeting that don’t lie over the rafter.

William Miller

Gradient Cap_mini
Lic 773985
millersolar.com <http://www.millersolar.com/>
805-438-5600

*From:*RE-wrenches [mailto:re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org <mailto:re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org>] *On Behalf Of *Jerry Caldwell
*Sent:* Friday, March 02, 2018 1:24 PM
*To:* RE-wrenches
*Subject:* [RE-wrenches] TJI rafters

Dear Wrenches,

I have a customer with a low slope roof supported by TJI beams. Does anyone have experience permitting and installing on TJIs? I'm curious if jurisdictions are requiring Structural Engineer stamps.

Since the top chord of the beams is only 1 3/8" thick should we be using shorter lag bolts for these installations? It also seems that it would be undesirable to penetrate into the web of the beam.

Any advice would be appreciated here.

Thank you,

Jerry Caldwell

List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org