Thanks Kent,

A question, most of the Sierra AHJ's only care, and that
is rare, that there is a remote power off like Outback and Schneider have
already. I understand it is not a battery disco, and even though there is
one in these systems, what is your response please?

I mostly dislike
power sheds as people need an excuse to go there and observe. I mostly use
a garage or outside house wall to build a bat room. Appreciate your
thoughts. Insurance issues are not as important these days as many of us no
longer can get it

Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar
"we go where powerlines
don't"
http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/ [1]
e-mail offgridso...@sti.net
[2]
text 209 813 0060

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 22:33:03 -0700, Kent Osterberg
wrote:   Ray,

 Per NEC 480 batteries below 48 volts didn't need a readily
accessible disconnect within site of the batteries. That's unchanged in the
2020 Code, you don't have to have a readily accessible disconnect within
site of the batteries. That's a good thing considering the environment near
lead acid batteries. A disconnect switch still isn't required in the
48-volt battery room.

 Yes, if you put a 48-volt battery in a one or
two-family dwelling, an outside (remote) emergency disconnect is required.
That is going to be a pain that may add hundreds of dollars to the cost of
small off-grid systems. You might get away with a mushroom switch and a
24-volt tap on the batteries to activate a remote trip breaker. But
considering that it is a fire-safety related circuit it is probably best to
spend the money for the bird box.

 At the very least 480.7(B) should make
off-grid folks think about using a power shed. The power shed is not a
dwelling so 2020 NEC 480.7(B) doesn't apply.

 Kent Osterberg
 Blue
Mountain Solar