My memory is that you need to disconnect the Sunny Island from all AC and
DC voltages for 15-20 minutes before the low voltage lockout releases (I
think there is a small LED light on the internal circuit board which turns
off). Once that happens, you can reconnect the batteries and even with
fairly low voltage the SIs will boot up at which point the generator can
sync up and start charging the batteries. Just make sure to run the gennie
for a bit before you try this to warm it up, and set the connection time of
the inverters to the generator to be as short as possible so theSI's don't
shut off on Low Voltage before they do connect.
As far as the Sunny Portal, I too haven't messed with it for a few years
and SMA had just done a major overhaul of the sites capabilities, so I
didn't really explore it.  And it probably now has more capability than
that upgrade afforded.
Howie

*Howie Michaelson**Sun Catcher*

*NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installerâ„¢*

*Solar Electric Systems Sales & Service802-272-0004*